Friday 9 August 2013

An American reviews Doctor Who

Courtesy of BBC


Could someone please explain to me why it's such a big deal? A few days ago news broke that Peter Capaldi would be replacing Matt Smith as the Doctor. The blogosphere exploded. The American scratched her head in wonder. 

So I finally hankered down to watch my first episode on a friend's couch last week.
I prepared myself for Britain's favorite show and to finally understand what the hell all my friends have been talking about.

Excuse me?

This is what I've been missing out on all these years? A cheese fest of time travelers trying to save the world from robots. Only... This show is popular right? Wouldn't it have a big enough budget to equip the robots with more than a plunger and a cooking whisk as arms?



Courtesy of BBC


I couldn't believe my friends were actually holding their breath over whether or not the world would be saved. It's so campy that it's funny. Hysterical, actually. I briefly wondered if people's loyalty to the series was ironic. Like it's so bad that it's good? 

I feel like I can finally understand my dad's bewilderment when he took my sister and I to watch Mean Girls.

I know my nation has its fair share of bad TV but seriously?! I'm done. You want to say Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is stupid? Your argument is invalid.




No comments:

Post a Comment