Wednesday 16 January 2013

Inner beauty's overrated

Courtesy of Roshan Norouzi/ZUMA press


I'm very proud to be half Persian, but it does come with its downsides. I was born with my father's eyebrows, which require more upkeep than a blonde's. God forbid you want to lighten your hair, you'd need a lot of bleach. (I've been blonde before, and the maintenance is not worth it.) 

Nose jobs are not uncommon in our culture. After a successful procedure, a friend of a friend deleted all her "before" pictures off of Facebook.
In a conversation with my cousins I learned that so many women undergo the knife in Iran that their noses have begun to look identical. You know, smaller bridge, shortened tip.

Iran is in fact the nose job capital of the world. Some say that since women have to cover up with a scarf, they're more self-conscious about it, but honestly big noses are not fun with or without a scarf. Photographer, Newsha Tavakolian blames Western TV


Everyone saw how the Western women, they have very small nose and look almost like Barbie, and the Iranian women, they see them and they say, "Oh, I want to look like them." They want to make their nose small.

Even the men get their noses done. And you know what? More power to them. I was reading on Jezebel how plastic surgery in Korea has, like Iran, been leading to uniformity.

I'm not against plastic surgery. Yes, people like Heidi Montag make it look like a horrifying science experiment. But I know people who have had insecurities their whole life and felt more confident in themselves after little modifications. Too much of anything can be unhealthy. But who am I to tell someone what to do with their body? I don't want people telling me what to do with my uterus. 


Courtesy of People

On a side note, I loved the soundbite from Dr. Hossein Heidar. When asked if the rhinoplasty craze is against Islamic morals, he said: "Plastic surgery is better appearance for people, and I think God like this."

Oh, you!






1 comment: