Monday 14 January 2013

Lady Gaga vs. Kelly Osbourne on bullying

Courtesy of Getty Images


Nothing's more fun than girl drama and hypocritical celebrities. Who cares about the Golden Globes when Kelly Osbourne and Lady Gaga are feuding?



Courtesy of Fabulous magazine

Here's how it went down: The Fashion Police's co-host, Kelly Osbourne said in an interview with Fabulous magazine that she was being cyber-bullied by Lady Gaga's "Little Monsters":


I get called fat all the time. A big fat whore. Lady Gaga's fans are the worst. They've said I should kill myself, that they hope I get raped. I mean it's crazy but I've had this all my life and I just try to ignore it.

Lady Gaga responded with an open letter on her website. Here's the crucial nugget:


Your work on E! with the Fashion Police is rooted in criticism, judgment, and rating people's beauty against one another. "Appearance" is the most used reason for bullying in the world. Your show breeds negativity, and over the years has even become comedic in nature. It glorifies you and Joan Rivers pointing in the camera, laughing, and making jokes about artists and celebrities as if we are zoo animals.... To see you blossoming into a beautiful slender woman who makes fun of others for a living is astounding. Why not help others? Why not defend others who are bullied for their image and share your story?

Thank you for those pearls of wisdom, Lady Gaga. You know what this reminds me of? Jodie Foster's essay in defense of Kristen Stewart. A lot of self-congratulation and missing the point. I loved the part when Gaga wrote: "I know I'm perceived as a wild child, but in reality I am a woman that deeply cares for humanity."

Oh, but there's more. Kelly brushed it off with the tweet: "Hope you guys realize that I don't care about any of this bull****! I know who I am I don't need anyone to tell me!" Mama Osbourne took it a step further and retaliated with her own open letter to Lady Gaga in which she calls the singer a "hypocrite" and a "bully." Sharon Osbourne also attached an email sent to Gaga's manager, saying one tweet from "Mama Monster" might stop her fans cyber bullying Kelly Osbourne.

I loved Sharon Osbourne's letter. Here's the best part: "You say [Kelly's] work on E! with the Fashion Police is 'rooted in criticism, judgment, and rating people's beauty against one another.' Welcome to the real world."

As much as anyone can say Kelly Osbourne is a bully for being on that show, making fun of people is fun. Why is the X Factor so popular? We like laughing at people who can't sing. It's like what Dwayne says in Little Miss Sunshine: "Life is one f****** beauty contest after another." That's what sells on TV. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

I don't think Lady Gaga is responsible for her fans' actions, but I agree with Sharon Osbourne that she could encourage more respect toward Kelly. Other than that, her letter just sounded like condescending bologna to me. Or maybe she's still mad about that time Kelly Osbourne called her a butterface.










No comments:

Post a Comment