Wednesday 9 January 2013

Scarface, and other famous deleted scenes

Courtesy of Universal Pictures


Until the invention of DVDs, I was unaware that anything beyond the actual film existed. Now I don't consider a movie "done" until I've watched behind-the-scenes footage and deleted scenes. Sometimes I'll turn on the commentary if I'm feeling up to it. Here's some famous scenes that didn't make the final cut.



The Wizard of Oz- The Jitterbug

I'm a big fan of this movie and it was on repeat in our household. Not only did I go as Dorothy for Halloween, I went through a phase where I wouldn't leave the house without my "ruby red slippers." Megan Fox and I have this in common. Check out "The Jitterbug," a dance sequence that took five weeks to rehearse but was eventually cut. Someone on set did catch a part of the rehearsal on film though.


Woops! Wrong one.



Scarface- Chainsaw Threat

My dad went to the opening of this movie in 1983 in San Francisco. Apparently cops were lining the block since all the drug dealers in town came to watch it too. It's as infamous for its graphic violence as it is for its F-bombs (Scarface was the first film to use the word fuck over 200 times, the same number my friend uses in a single sentence). The chainsaw scene, for instance has made the likes of even Kurt Vonnegut and John Irving walk out in disgust. Its macabre was probably why it was cut out before its release in Norway. By the way, has anyone heard the rumor about a possible Scarface sequel?



The Passion of the Christ- Caiaphas' declaration 

Talk about irony. After a screening with select groups of mostly priests and ministers, Mel Gibson was asked to remove a scene because it might encourage anti-Semitism. In the original version following the Crucifixion, the Jewish high priest Caiaphas implies a curse on the Jewish people by saying "His blood be on us and our children." In 2006, two years after the film was released, Mel Gibson was infamously arrested for a DUI and filmed ranting about Jewish people. (I've never seen this movie, so please let me know if I've included the wrong video.)



Step Brothers- Catalina Wine Mixer

I couldn't not include this. This is one of my favorite movies and it deserves an Oscar. Rob Riggle is so wild, he makes Will Ferrell look tame. I'm not sure why this scene was taken out, because it's awesome. 



Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn- Honeymoon 

WHAT THE... HOLY... I JUST... *faints

Lionsgate/Summit just announced that Part 2 will be on DVD and Blu-ray on March 2nd. The real headline here is that there will be 8 minutes of never-before-seen footage, including deleted scenes from the honeymoon sequence. If you read my other post, you'll know that I felt they were a little lackluster. Here's hoping director, Bill Condon is not teasing us again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment